> Home > Policy information > Security requirements > Vehicles
Requirements when the bicycle is in or on a vehicle
Bicycles will only be covered when:
- All doors and windows are left closed and locked
- Theft occurred by forcible and violent entry
- The bicycle is secured through the frame using an approved lock, to the roof or bike rack or if the vehicle is suitable, stored out of sight
- All security devices installed in the vehicle are in operation
- The vehicle used is completely road legal
- All windows and locks are capable of totally securing the vehicle.
If a bicycle is left in or on a vehicle between 9pm and 6am
In addition to the requirements above:
- The vehicle must be fitted with a Thatcham category 1 alarm/immobiliser or
- Category 2 immobiliser or
- Category 3 steering lock
- If the category 1 or 2 device is not factory fitted, it must have been installed by a member of the Vehicle Security Installation Board
When outside of the UK
When it is impossible to comply with the Thatcham requirements above, evidence of a factory fitted alarm or immobiliser and evidence of its existence must be provided.
Requirements for where you keep your bicycle
The information displayed is for guidance only and no contract or contract term is implied - only the policy wording can be taken as a binding contract.